- Landscape and character
- Waterways and wetlands
- Open space
- Flooding and stormwater
- Neighbourhoods and housing
- Social infrastructure
- Sustainable design
- Energy and resources
- Sustainable living
- Adaptation and resilience
Sustainable living is about how we live to reduce our impact on the environment, improve wellbeing and build community resilience. It is about being creative and doing more with less that has a ‘win-win’ benefit for ourselves, our environment, broader community and our hip pocket.
By embracing sustainable living practices we can reduce the use of natural resources and dramatically reduce consumer waste.
It applies to individuals, households, communities, business, industry and how council undertakes its own activities. Every day we can achieve improved outcomes by making better choices about:
- how we travel and move around;
- our energy consumption;
- renewable energy alternatives and resource efficiency (including water and waste);
- food and other consumables (the things we buy);
- our connection to the natural environment; and
- the capacity to live within our means.
To increase community understanding and adoption of sustainable living practices council works with the community and business to strengthen their knowledge, skills and social connections to live sustainably.
We support the community, industry and business to take a more sustainable approach to life on the Sunshine Coast. We also work to embed sustainability into our own systems, processes, infrastructure and facilities.
A snapshot of achievements for 2021/22Learn about council's annual environment and liveability achievements.
How ‘liveable’ is your neighbourhood?Council has embarked on a five-year annual study into the community’s perceptions of liveability in their neighbourhood.
- Landscape and character Landscape and character are the essence of our region that define our identity and culture. View more
- Social infrastructure Social infrastructure is our spaces, places and services that support the community. View more
- Energy and resources We all use energy and natural resources, yet can do more to reduce our impact on the environment. View more