- Landscape and character
- Waterways and wetlands
- Open space
- Flooding and stormwater
- Neighbourhoods and housing
- Social infrastructure
- Sustainable design
- Energy and resources
- Sustainable living
- Adaptation and resilience
The spaces we inhabit have a significant impact on our enjoyment, wellbeing and experience of a place. Keeping a home also forms a significant part of our budget over our lifetime, including how many resources they use, therefore how they’re designed becomes of utmost importance.
Designing a sustainable built environment ensures we minimise our impact. Sustainable design helps create buildings, streets and neighbourhoods that are comfortable, affordable and resilient now and into the future.
Our subtropical climate makes the Sunshine Coast a great place to live, work and play. We can design to take advantage of our climate to protect our lifestyle and environment, even as the region grows. This will also help us use our resources wisely.
Sustainable design includes buildings, streets and neighbourhoods that:
- take advantage of our subtropical climate
- are resource and cost-efficient
- are ready for future technology, changing needs and for climate change
- have vibrant nature with shade trees and other vegetation throughout
- promote wellbeing, community and connectivity
We can work towards creating a sustainable built environment whenever we design buildings, infrastructure and the public realm.
We work with government and industry to promote sustainable design for the region. We also work with residents to show the benefits of design for a sustainable built form.
Council takes out first place in sustainability award two years runningCouncil’s Environment and Liveability Strategy has been announced a winner of the Banksia Sustainability Awards.
The Environment and Liveability Strategy has been recognised for planning excellenceThe Queensland winners of the Planning Institute of Australia’s Awards for Planning Excellence 2020 have been announced with the strategy taking home an award.
- Biodiversity Biodiversity is the variety of all life - plants, animals, fungi and micro-organisms. View more
- Neighbourhoods and housing Our region is a mix of coastal living and a relaxed, productive and rural lifestyle. View more
- Energy and resources We all use energy and natural resources, yet can do more to reduce our impact on the environment. View more