- Landscape and character
- Waterways and wetlands
- Open space
- Flooding and stormwater
- Neighbourhoods and housing
- Social infrastructure
- Sustainable design
- Energy and resources
- Sustainable living
- Adaptation and resilience
The community values our open space network. Open space builds our region's character, healthy lifestyle and biodiversity.
Open space provides the ‘green frame’ for our region. It creates places to be active and healthy, to meet others and be creative. It enhances our urban areas, rivers, beaches and foreshores. It also adds character to our streets and helps identify our communities.
Securing and developing open space is a key focus of council. We define our open space areas based on their primary use. This helps with planning, development and ongoing upkeep.
Our 5 open space areas are:
- Recreation: informal areas for social gatherings. For example, parks, reserves and trails
- Landscape: green corridors and streets
- Sport: facilities for formal sports. For example, fields, courts, and supporting structures
- Environmental and coastal: areas to enjoy the natural environment. They also help preserve plants and animals
- Other: areas for education, caravan parks, waterways and drainage reserves.
Open space also includes areas not managed by council. For example national parks, state forests, state-managed lands and areas managed by Unitywater. These open spaces complement and contrast with the built environment.
We set the strategic direction and develop policy for open space. We plan and manage our open space network and deliver key infrastructure projects. We also work with open space land managers in other organisations. This gives residents access to more open space areas.
Coastal Discovery VanThe Coastal Discovery Van is a mobile education tool that celebrates the uniqueness of the Sunshine Coast as it moves between coastal locations.
Inter-urban Break Outdoor Recreation PlanA strategic framework to guide management of outdoor recreation activities in the Inter-urban Break.
- Flooding and stormwater Floods occur from heavy or sustained rain, and stormwater is the runoff. View more
- Neighbourhoods and housing Our region is a mix of coastal living and a relaxed, productive and rural lifestyle. View more
- Social infrastructure Social infrastructure is our spaces, places and services that support the community. View more