Every year millions of people around the globe take part in the Plastic Free July challenge, choosing to refuse single-use plastics and drastically reduce the amount of plastic waste going to landfill.
In 2020, an estimated 326 million people worldwide took part in Plastic Free July and on average, participants reduced their household waste and recycling by almost 5% (or 21kg).
This year Sunshine Coast Council is proud to be a member Council of Plastic Free July to accept the challenge and join the collective global efforts to reduce plastic waste, protect our environment and help our community avoid single-use plastics.
This month Council will be sharing tips, stories, videos and events to showcase simple ways to swap out single-use plastics and reset our sustainable mindset.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Organise a Plastic Free Morning Tea at your workplace or playgroup:
- Take the Pesky Plastics Quiz
- Learn how to Make your own beeswax wraps with this informative Living Smart video or register for a workshop at your local library
- Join the action through the Sunshine Coast Council Beach clean up program
- Learn all there is to know about how to Get Plogging or start a Plog a Thon!
- Register with millions of other people to join the Plastic Free Challenge at plasticfreejuly.org
For more tips and tricks on avoiding single use plastics and links to local Plastic Free July events head to Council’s Living Smart website.
- Climate change We’re addressing climate change in a progressive and responsive way. View more
- Sustainable living Sustainable living is a lifestyle that leaves little impact on the environment. View more
- Our vision for 2041 We'll retain our natural landscape, distinctive character and much loved way of life. View more