Central to achieving council’s vision and meeting its greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets, is having a clear process in place to measure progress and make corrections where necessary.
Benchmarking provides a comparative annual snapshot of environmental sustainability aspects of business performance. It also provides a direct line-of-sight between council’s vision, corporate plan goals, operational activities and actual performance.
The following indicators measure, track and compare changes (increases or reductions) for the organisation each year:
• carbon (greenhouse gas) emissions
• waste generation and diversion
• energy (electricity and fuel) consumption and renewable energy
• transport (fleet vehicles and use of alternative transport such as public transport)
• water consumption
• environmental sustainability programs (number of programs and staff participation)
• environmental sustainability systems and process embedded across Council that deliver sustainability outcomes.
View the latest organisational environmental sustainability benchmarking report.
- Energy and resources We all use energy and natural resources, yet can do more to reduce our impact on the environment. View more
- Sustainable living Sustainable living is a lifestyle that leaves little impact on the environment. View more
- Sustainable design Sustainable design supports healthy, cost effective and functional buildings. View more